Monday, June 22, 2009

What to do if your child has superpowers

Wonderful and timely article in yesterday's Boston Globe confronting head-on an issue with which many parents struggle in silence.

Among the questions answered:

Q. My child can control the weather and summon tornadoes at a moment’s notice. This makes discipline a challenge.

Q. My child wants to choose a crime-fighting pseudonym that I do not approve of. How should I handle this?
And, of course, every parent's worst nightmare:

Q. My child shows a strong interest in villainy. Should I be concerned?
Kudos to the Globe for having the courage to take this issue out of the shadows and deal with it openly and honestly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the water in boston must be more radioactive than it is in nc. and you know what? thinking about it, i bet villains are good to their mothers. so that wouldn't be so bad.

Brendan P. Myers said...

Heh. Funny you say that, but years ago when they cleaned up the harbor, they did indeed find dozens and dozens of rotting barrels filled with radioactice waste, so you never know . . .

And I bet your right. Villains -- and the Irish -- love their mothers!