Thursday, June 10, 2010

Summer Doldrums

And it ain't even summer . . .

Not much to report. Sent out seven queries on Swash! thus far and will no doubt send out more before the week is out. Haven't heard an immediate "No thanks" yet, which is unusual in itself and (maybe?) a good sign.

Still, sent out more than fifty on each of the others, and expect to send out at least that many on this before reverting to fallback mode. Won't even contemplate that before the end of the summer anyway.

Went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and saw prominently displayed on the "New Releases" table a book called The Ark by Boyd Morrison. Picked it up, read the lavish praise from lots of big names, the most prominent from premier thriller-writer James Rollins.

Why did this book pique my interest?

Well, aside from my interest in thrillers, I knew Boyd Morrison as a self-published Kindle author who I first met at Kindleboards last summer after self-publishing something of my own. Only a few weeks after I joined, he announced a six-figure, three-book deal with one of the big names (forget who), and here we are, a year later, and he's in the game.

You get a chance, check out both his book and his website. He has a very interesting biography, both personal and professional.

For me, the coolest thing about Swash! (especially if it WERE ever picked up by somebody) is that the next two I'll be working on are kind of in a similar, seriocomic vein. My next will be a P.I. parody / spoof with a heart, with the same character featured in my free Smashwords story Telegraph Hill (I know, I know. You're tired of hearing about it. Well, I'm tired of saying it!).

And as of right now, I think the one after that might also be somewhat seriocomic, featuring a mob hitman with a job to do . . . who finds himself in a zombie holocaust.

Just a wisp of an idea and a few paragraphs at the moment. But like I said, should Swash! ever be picked up and they want more, the next two will be in the same vein.

Guess I'll leave you with the first sentence of my currently untitled WIP:

When I first met Linda Stark, I didn't ask why she had a bird on her head.
5,000 words and counting!

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments: