Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dog Days

Not much to report, except I DID finish a story and sent it off to submission-land. So that's something.

I blogged in February about a book release party held locally for a zombie anthology centered in St. Pete. Never having had a book release party for any anthology I’d been in, I thought that was cool enough.

And though I’d only been here a few months at the time, St. Pete had gotten under my skin enough where I realized it truly was a funky and off-beat enough place to support a zombie anthology of its own.

Though I missed that opportunity, I was inspired to jot down a few pages of notes for a St. Pete-centric zombie short that I’d get around to writing someday, if only for fun.

So color me excited when I learned the folks who created that anthology announced another, and not only that, but a whole series of place-themed zombie anthologies.

The first two announced were for a second St. Pete volume, submissions due August 30th, and a New York City based one, submissions due December 30th.

I was inspired enough to reopen those notes and tailor a St. Pete zombie tale.

Anyway, they probably have hundreds of good ones from folks more talented than me, who know the place far better. And they’re not paying anything, so I have nothing to lose. Still, had fun writing the thing and think it’s pretty good.

In other news, still puttering away on my novel-length Dick Londergan / P.I piece.

More than two hundred folks have downloaded Telegraph Hill, my free Dick Londergan short available on Smashwords, with at least a couple of more every week. Nobody has written to complain, so maybe there's a market for it.

Having fun too (thus far only in my head) with prospective titles. I want folks to know it’s a Dick Londergan tale, so I’m trying to both think of a way to get his name in the title as well as to parody great crime novels of the past.

So far, “The Big Dick” is in the lead.

(:>)

2 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

Nothing too dogish about these days, it seems. Glad St. Pete seems like a good fit.

Brendan said...

Funky: Check
Off-beat: Check
Zombies: Check

That's pretty much my critera.

(:>)